Southwest Airlines has officially announced their new fare type, Wanna Get Away Plus. This is a buy-on board program that gives customers the opportunity to book an award ticket at no extra cost if they have enough miles and points in one of Southwest’s partner frequent flyer programs (some restrictions apply).
The “wanna get away plus southwest airlines” is a new fare type that allows passengers to fly and stay at a hotel in one city. This can be useful for people who want to visit multiple cities but don’t want to spend the money on two separate tickets.
Southwest Airlines Unveils Details Of New “Wanna Get Away Plus” Fare Type
on March 24, 2022 by Gary Leff
Basic Economy is not available on Southwest Airlines. All of their rates are refundable with full credit toward a new ticket, and there are no fees for two checked baggage. Even as they introduced a new, more costly price category, they vowed not to take anything away from the cheapest rates. That is precisely what they have done.
Southwest now provides three different kinds of flights:
- Wanna Get Away for the Lowest Price?
- Refundable at any time
- Business Select is refundable and includes priority boarding and a complimentary beverage on board.
In addition, Southwest will create a new fare type dubbed “Wanna Get Away Plus” that will run between Wanna Get Away and Anytime. Here’s what it adds to the mix:
- When canceling an itinerary, flight credits may be used to reserve a ticket for someone else.
- It includes same-day confirmed adjustments (or standby on full flights) without having to pay a fee difference (similar to the current elite benefit)
- Bonus of 1/3 of a point (earn 8 points per dollar instead of 6 with the cheapest tickets)
Obviously, whether it’s worth ‘upgrading’ to Wanna Get Away Plus rates at the time of booking will depend on the extra cost on a specific route, but presuming it’s more than de minimis, I don’t see myself doing it. Southwest, on the other hand, views it as a revenue-boosting strategy.
And, since they want customers to keep going up the pricing ladder, they’ve added priority check-in, transferable credits (but who cares, these tickets are refundable), and EarlyBird boarding to the Wanna Get Away Plus rate. Customers who purchase Anytime tickets will be able to board before those who only purchase EarlyBird boarding.
What’s fascinating about this is that once it’s ready, consumers who purchase the lowest Wanna Get Away airfare will be able to upgrade to Wanna Get Away Plus for a fee, which might make sense:
- prior to canceling a ticket in order to transfer the value of that ticket
- When you wish to change flights on the same day and the ticket difference between what you paid and the new flight’s current sale price is larger than the difference in the purchase price to Wanna Get Away Plus
These new fare qualities are scheduled to be accessible by the second quarter’s conclusion (i.e. June).
More From the Wing’s Perspective
Leave a Reply
- airline prices
- cheap first class flights
- flight deals right now